Monday 5 March 2018

Every Inchie Monday -- Australia

This week we are down under in Australia. Peter and I went to Australia for nine weeks in 2004 to visit friends and relations. I didn't see any of my relations, only Peters. Until we came home and I spoke to my cousins I didn't know where they were. My great grandfather went there as a mining engineer when my grandmother was a baby. He saved up enough money to have her brought over, and when the lady went to get her in South Wales, the husband of great grandma's sister, had drunk all the money that great grandad had sent over. My grandmother never managed to get over there and never saw her father. Her father's sister brought her up with her own six girls, all of them I remember well. Grandma's mother had died I think in childbirth. He married again and had two daughters, it is their family that now live near Sidney.
We had the most wonderful time and I loved it there. If I hadn't had three children and my mum I would have stayed there. Whether we will ever go again is doubtful, age and money being the main stumbling blocks.
I have chosen to do the Koala and Ayres rock for my inches. I have chosen koala as not only did I spot one in the wild, sleeping in a tree, but I got to hold one as well. He was very heavy and very friendly.




Here of some pictures that definitely don't look like Australia.
These are views from our front door which Peter dug his way through today before the grandchildren came and one from my studio window which was 6 ft deep. The wind had deposited half of the snow from the field into our garden. The kids loved it, and the littlest one asked to see the drift mountain as soon as she arrived.






7 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh my, you sure got enough snow dumped into your garden! Love the inchies, hugs, Valerie

inkyfingy said...

Love your snow images, but that is easy to say from somewhere that snow is an occasional short lived novelty. I have been hearing about the weather being experienced across Europe in the past week or so, stay warm! Love your inchies, very topical. Family history can be fascinating once you start uncovering the more intimate details, I have really enjoyed my delving in, although I wish my interest had started back when there were folk still around to fill in the blanks! Dx

freebird7100 said...

I am so happy that we don't have that snow here, just rain, tons of rain! I love the koala and the rock. Great job as always

Heather said...

My goodness - those snow scenes are dramatic. Love the two inchies. I love koala bears and Ayres Rock is fascinating.

Margriet said...

Love the little koala! Wow, that's a lot of snow!

Cathy said...

I love your inchies! I am soooo envious that you actually held a koala. I would love to do that. Did he have a eucalyptus smell like I have heard? I also would be glad for you to send me some snow if you think you might have extra! We get flurries around here and that is about it.

Jolande said...

Beautiful inchies.

Blog Archive